Thursday, January 22, 2009

Pumpkin Muffins and Waffles (optional gluten free)

Here's a yummy dual-purpose batter!

Pumpkin Muffins and Waffles:

Combine in large mixing bowl, and beat well:
(You can divide your sweeteners differently if you like, and even add in some molasses if desired. This is just what I had, in these amounts. Next time I will try omitting the honey, and using 2/3 c Palm Sugar and 1/2 cup of molasses.)

Add and mix well:
  • 1 cup pureed pumpkin or squash
  • 1 1/4 c. milk
  • 1/2 cup butter, melted.
In the same bowl, on top of the wet ingredients, lightly mix together the dry ingredients. Then combine wet and dry together just until mixed.
  • 3 c. flour (gluten free flour mix, if you want it GF)
  • 4 tsp baking powder (make sure to use a GF brand if you're going for GF)
  • 2 tsp cinnamon
  • 2 tsp ground ginger
  • 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
  • 1/2 tsp salt
Now pour some of the batter into greased muffin tins, enough to make 12 muffins. Bake at 400*F for 20 minutes.

With your remaining batter, add:
  • 1/2 cup of oil
  • 1 cup milk, or as much as is needed to make a good waffle batter consistency.
Bake waffles according to your waffle iron instructions.

This recipe yielded me a dozen each of muffins and waffles.

Note: I ran out of xanthum gum to put in my GF flour mix, but the baked goods held together well. I'm assuming that it's because this was quick-rising dough, not yeasted. Is there anyone with more experience that can tell me if my assumption is correct, or why xanthum gum is sometimes needed and sometimes not? Thanks! ;-)

No comments: